RIP Gary Speed

I was saddened today to hear of the passing of a true footballing hero, Gary Speed.




As a Leeds player he was instrumental in the First Division Champions title.
He played with passion and gave 100% regardless of which team he played for. 




I am pleased that my timeline on twitter is full of great memories and condolences. I know how easy some people find these times to try to be 'funny' or just post obnoxious messages, so thank you. 
It does show how well respected Speed was.

I was fortunate enough to meet Gary on several occasions and he was always a true gentleman. 
I am truly honoured to have met him and humbled to have been in his company.

I don't know why Gary lost his life, nor do I think it is for anyone to speculate. 
When someone takes their life, it's tragic for all those affected.

This document:

Twitter and social media guidelines for discussing suicide

was tweeted by Darren @MyLifeInLeeds earlier.

It makes interesting reading and I think most of it should be used in every day life.

 

Suicide is not a crime in the UK.  

People do not 'commit suicide'; they take their own lives.

 

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this terrible time. 


RIP Gary x


 

1 comment:

  1. The demise of Gary Speed is a big blow to many football fans. Speed will be missed dearly for sure. Read more about Gary Speed Death here. One thing is for sure. Speed may be gone but in the eyes of football, he will live on as a Wales Legend.

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, for every one you leave, a fairy gets her wings!