Newborn Checklists - What do I need?!

I posted recently about What the heck do I need in my Hospital Bag? and thought whilst I was asking you lovely people for help, I may as well ask this question too...

What does my newborn baby actually need? 

There are again a million and one posts, websites, etc. that list the 'essential you MUST buy for baby' lists, but I don't believe I actually need it all. Am I being naive? Or realistic?

Please take a look at my lists below and do please comment on anything you think is unnecessary, or that is blatantly missing.

Things we definitely need:
  • A pram, pushchair, or buggy that lies flat, so is suitable for newborn babies.
  • Car seat
  • Cot (with mattress) and sheets and blankets or a bottom sheet and a baby sleeping bag
  • Feeding equipment - I'm hoping to breastfeed, so do I need anything? Although should I have bottle feeding equipment just in case? e.g.  bottles / teats / bottle brush, formula and sterilising equipment.
  • Nappies - I am planning to use disposable for first few weeks at least, then possibly reuseable.
  • Changing mat
  • Nursing bra, breast pads, and nipple cream.
  • Baby toiletries - nappy wipes, cotton wool balls, cotton buds, a good nappy rash cream (Do baby’s need wash / shampoo etc.? General consensus is no.)
  • Brush and comb
  • Plenty of towels / flannels / muslin squares
  • Shawl or snow suit
  • Six sleep suits/ long sleeved suits
  • Six vests/ short sleeved suits
  • Two cardigans/ jackets
  • Hat, socks, and bootees

Things that are nice to have:
  • 2 or 4 pacifiers (if I choose to use these)
  • A special 'feeding' pillow or a 'V' shaped cushion
  • Baby bath - although baby can use the big bath (have support), share with me, or I could use a new washing-up bowl at the very beginning.
  • Baby box or bag
  • Baby carrier or sling
  • Baby monitor
  • Basket/ crib (plus mattress, sheets and blankets)
  • Bath thermometer
  • Bottle rack
  • Bouncy chair
  • Breast pump and Breast milk storage bags
  • Change table / unit
  • Changing bag with a change mat
  • Digital ear thermometer
  • Highchair
  • Mattress protectors (one for my bed as well)
  • Mobiles
  • Nail scissors/clippers
  • Nappy wrapper
  • Night light
  • Playmat for tummy time
  • Playpen
  • Portable cot
  • Rocking chair for feeding and swaddling
  • Scratch mittens (one or two pairs). Don't use these unnecessarily: most infants don't actually need them, and all babies benefit from having their hands free for exploring, and for self comforting by sucking their fingers. It's better to keep baby's fingernails trimmed, rather than their hands hidden away!
  • Sunshades for car windows
  • Rattles and other baby toys - although not really necessary at first, they are nice for me and baby to enjoy together.
As always all comments greatly appreciated, and needed before I pull my hair out!

2 comments:

  1. You're completely right that you don't need most of the stuff 'they' tell you you need.

    I'd agree with the first list you have,(and I'd add lots of bibs). That list will get you through the first few weeks and ensure he/she has something to eat/wear/sleep in etc. What worked for us was having the basics and then once the baby was here after a few weeks we worked out what we wanted/needed.

    With bottles and formula I've heard some people say that knowing they had the formula in the cupboard made them give up on breastfeeding a bit quicker than if they knew there wasn't an alternative in the house. However if you're the kind of person who likes to be prepared for everything then I'd say get a very basic kit including a couple of bottles and a steriliser just to get you started. If you don't have them and when the baby is home you need them, they are usually easy to pick up in the supermarket if you can send someone out to get them for you so try not to worry that you will have a hungry baby and nothing for him/her to eat. I would say to do a bit of research about formula brands so you have an idea about which brand to buy (I knew nothing about any of them and was baffled by the choice).

    I think all of the items on the second list are a matter of personal choice, and I'd say wait until you work out what you need. For example I have never used a bath thermometer (my elbow is free!), and I loved my Sleepy Wrap sling. But i have friends who find a thermometer gives them great peace of mind and others who didn't get along with a sling.

    I hope that's helpful, sorry for the long comment. Lovely blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thethriftymum,
      Many thanks for your comment. No problem about it being long, its helpful.
      I think the advice about looking at formulas is good, as I have no idea. Even though I want to breastfeed, I know it's not always possible, so I really should know the alternatives.

      Thank you again
      Nikki x

      Delete

Please do comment, for every one you leave, a fairy gets her wings!